Tuesday, August 11, 2009

WANDER NOT - MY DEAR


WANDER NOT - MY DEAR

A disciple and his Guru were walking through the forest. The disciple was disturbed by the fact that his mind was in constant unrest.

He asked his Guru: "Why is it that most people’s minds are restless, and only a few possess a calm mind? What can one do to still his thoughts?"

The Guru looked at the disciple, smiled and said: I will tell you a story. An elephant was standing and picking leaves from a tree. A small fly flew buzzing near his ear. The elephant waved it away with his long ears. Then the fly came again, and the elephant waved it away once more."

This repeated several times. Then the elephant asked the fly: "Why are you so restless and noisy? Why can’t you stay for a while in one place?"

The fly answered: "I am attracted to whatever I see, hear or smell. My five senses pull me constantly in all directions and I cannot resist them. And what is your secret, how can you stay so calm and still?"

The elephant stopped eating and said: "My five senses do not rule my attention. Whatever I do, I am immersed in it. Now that I am eating, I am completely immersed in eating. In this way I can enjoy my food and chew it better. I rule my attention and not the other way round."

The disciple’s eyes opened wide and a smile rose on his face. "I understood. If I am in charge of my senses and attention, then the mind is calm. The outside objects are infinite in number. If I let my five senses pull my attention, then the mind is constantly restless.""

"Yes, that’s right", answered the Guru. The mind is restless and goes wherever the attention is. Control your attention, and you control your mind."