Thursday, October 1, 2009

CONTINUE TO SEARCH HIM


CONTINUE TO SEARCH HIM

Malik was a holy man. He was loved and respected by all in his neighbours as a man of God.

A young man, who lived in the neighbourhood, was notorious for his profligacy and bad behaviour. He was a constant source of chagrin to all the people who lived in the locality. They appealed to Malik to have a word with him. Perhaps, the holy man’s counsel would help him change his ways, they felt.

Malik went to meet the young man. Gently, he urged him to mend his behaviour.

“I’m a protégé of the Sultan!” replied the youth arrogantly. “I can do whatever I like, and no one dare question me.”

“What if the people complain to the Sultan about you?” asked Malik.

“That will be quite useless,” laughed the youth. “The Sultan is so fond of me that he will not hear a word against me!”

“I shall complain to the Sultan of Sultans – to Allah Himself,” warned Malik.

“O, He is All-Beneficent, All- Merciful! He is too forgiving to condemn me!” replied the youth nonchalantly.

His behaviour grew from bad to worse. Finding it impossible to tolerate his ways, the entire neighbourhood decided to confront him and protest against his profligacy. Malik agreed to join them.

That night, Malik had a dream in which a Voice urged him, “Do not reproach My friend. He is under My protection.”

When Malik awoke the next morning, he clearly remembered the words. He did not join the neighbours who berated the youth severely.

The young man was surprised that Malik was not among them. Later that day, he came to Malik and asked him, “Why weren’t you with the rest?”

Malik narrated his dream to the young man. He repeated what the Voice had said to him, “Do not reproach My friend, for he is under My protection.”

The profligate was stunned, “Did He really call me His friend?” he demanded.

“That was what He said to me,” Malik asserted.

The young man was not seen in the locality any more. People wondered what had happened to him. He had not seemed to take their warnings seriously. Where could he have gone?

Years rolled by. On a pilgrimage to Mecca, Malik met the young man. Surprised by his presence at the holy city, he asked the youth, “What brings you here?”

“Ever since the day that you told me about Him, I have been here, searching for my Friend,” the youth replied, “I shall continue to look for Him until I find Him!”


.