Friday, November 6, 2009

NEVER SEE BEHIND – ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD


NEVER SEE BEHIND – ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD


A man and his wife set out to visit a friend, whose house was some miles distant from their own. On the way, they remember they would have to cross a bridge which was very old and was considered unsafe. The woman began to worry about it.

“What shall we do about the bridge?” she asked her husband. “I shall never dare to go over it, and there is no boat that can take us across.”

“Oh,” said the man, “I never thought of the bridge. It is most unsafe to cross it. Suppose it should give way while we are on it! We should be drowned!”

“Or suppose,” said the wife, “you step on a rotten plank and break your leg, who would take care of me and the children?”

“I don’t know,” said the man, “what would become of us, if I broke my leg? Perhaps, we would all starve to death.”

So it went on. Both of them kept on worrying, imaging all sorts of misfortunes would happen to them, until they reached the bridge and found that a new one had already been built, and they crossed over it in safety.

How much have cost us the evils that never happened!”