Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Every Disappointment is His appointment

Every Disappointment is His appointment

 

The problems and difficulties that we face in life are sent to us with a definite purpose; we can always derive benefit and wisdom from the most unpleasant experiences. This is why enlightened souls have always expressed gratitude to God in trying times.

 

It was Dale Carnegie who said, “When we have accepted the worst, we have nothing more to lose. And that automatically means – we have everything to gain.”

 

It is not possible for us, with our limited intelligence, to explain everything that happens in life. Why do I have to struggle, while others succeed effortlessly? Why do I have to face so many disappointments? You can analyze and speculate by all means – but the important thing for you is to accept – take life as it comes and get on with it.

 

It was a wise man who said, “Acceptance is not submission; it is acknowledgement of the facts of the situation.”

 

When you wish to take on the challenges of life, ask yourself first: What is the worst that can happen to me? The secret of facing life’s challenges is to be prepared for the worst – and to hope for the best! Anything in life that we refuse to accept will only impede our progress and constantly irritate us, until we learn to make with it.

 

The Irish dramatist, J M Synge, gave us a beautiful play called Riders to the Sea. It tells us of an old Irish woman, who loses her husband and all her seven sons one after another. She accepts her loss with fortitude and at the end of the play, when her only remaining son is to be buried, she utters the moving prayer: “God, Thou gavest. Thou has taken away. Blessed be Thy Name!”

 

By accepting the worst – the loss of her sons – the mother finds release and liberation from sorrow.

 

Here is a real experience of a devotee. She was in great emotional distress, and could not keep back her tears as she spoke. Her husband, a kind and devoted man, whom she loved dearly, had been posted abroad. She could not accompany him, for his organization did not permit the families to join employees on such an assignment, for technical reasons.

 

“I don’t want him to leave me and go abroad,” she said. “Ask him to give up his job. Or pray that this appointment should be cancelled.”

 

Perhaps the answer might appeared cruel to her at that time, “I do not pray, instead, that you may grow into an understanding of what God wills for you – and that you may cooperate with His Will and let it work uninterrupted, in and through you!”

 

When her husband went on his assignment, she bade him a tearful farewell. Her face clouded with grief, she said, “You did not do anything for me. You could have helped me if only you wished to do so!”

 

“Sister, do not despair! God fulfils Himself in many ways.”

 

After a few months, she was indeed a transformed woman! Her face was wreathed with smiles. She was joyous as a child with a new toy and said, “Thank you, now I do know what you meant – there is the Hand of Divine love and wisdom in all that happens. When my husband departed, I was utterly inconsolable. Then, gradually I thought of what you said: If God had willed my dear one to travel to a faraway land; it must also be for my good. And indeed, it has proved to be so. Now that I am alone at home, I have lot of time to spare. I utilize it to study the Gita, Sai Satcharitra and many holy books and lives of saints – something that I have always wanted to do and never had the time to do! I pray and meditate as often as I can. I attend the satsang everyday. I sing God’s Name and I serve the children and the lowly. And I feel so happy and blessed!

 

The philosophy of wise acceptance had turned her into a radiant soul!