Tuesday, June 28, 2016

UNTO HIS FOLD - UNDERSTANDING EACH OTHER

UNTO HIS FOLD

UNDERSTANDING EACH OTHER

By D.S. GOPALA RAO

 

If I knew you and you knew me, If both of us could clearly see, And with an inner sight divine The meaning of your heart and mine, I'm sure that we would differ less, And clasp our hands in friendliness; Our thoughts would pleasantly agree If I knew you and you knew me.

 

I was a student of a high school in the early forties. One evening as I was returning from the school and proceeding towards National High School side, someone told me that a film is being shown in the National High School quadrangle. Immediately I ran over there. I saw a number of people present for the film/lecture. It was a magic lantern lecture being conducted by an elderly gentleman. He was inserting slides on Sai Baba and explaining each one. He was none other than Shri Narasimha Swamiji who carried the message of Sai Baba to all nooks and corners of India. I was deeply impressed by his talk. This in fact sowed the seeds of Sai-devotion in me.

 

Later I had the privilege of coming in contact with H. H. Sri Radhakrishna Swamiji who came to Bangalore in 1953. Sometime in 1953 or 54, I had one more occasion to have 'darshan' of Sri Narasimha Swamiji. At that time he camped in Sri S. Narayana Rao's (retired Inspector - General of Police in Mysore) house on Subbarama Chetty Road. Regular bhajans and 'satsang' used to be held by then under the guidance of Sri Radhakrishna Swamiji at the house of Sri M. Subbaramayya near Nagasandra Circle.

 

Some devotees represented to Sri Narasimha Swamiji that he should visit Tumkur. Swamiji agreed to this provided he should be dropped at Bangalore before dusk. Sri B.S. Krishna Murthy arranged for a car and I had the privilege of accompanying Sri Narasimha Swamiji and Sri Radhakrishna Swamiji on this visit to Tumkur. First we visited a devotee's house near Railway Station and then proceeded to my brother-in-law, Sri R. Srinivasa Rao's house. 'Pada Pooja' was done by many devotees. When the clock struck 'FIVE', Sri Narasimha Swamiji in a firm voice said "I should be back in Bangalore by six". Accordingly we returned to Bangalore, though many devotees were disappointed. Sri Narasimha Swamiji was a stickler for time and kept up this discipline in his Sai-Prachar.

 

For me the very thought of this trip to Tumkur along with the perfect Masters purifies the soul and I get the power to draw Sai Baba more and more into my soul. Sai Baba and Swamijis are blessing us forever.